I have a big process that is composed of tasks (about 600), and I created a figure to watch the order they are launched with and the time they take. To do this, I used matplotlib and a barh.
The figure is ok (my 1st matplotlib success !), but:
I tried to increase the resolution as said in this other SO post, this is better but details are not precise enough. Here are my results so far:
Do you know how I could improve readability ? Thanks a lot (else, all my efforts would be useless, I'm afraid...)
PS: I'm using matplotlib 1.1.1 and python 2.7.
Just for the record, I will put the suggestion done in my second comment here as a possible answer as well. This may not always work, but a test shows good results:
import pylab as pl pl.figure(figsize=(7, 7)) # Don't create a humongous figure pl.annotate(..., fontsize=1, ...) # probably need the annotate line *before* savefig pl.savefig('test.pdf', format='pdf') # no need for DPI setting, assuming the fonts and figures are all vector based
It would appear even fractional fontsizes (e.g.
Your mileage may vary: I have tested this only with the PDF backend, not the EPS one.
Also: I have left out the DPI setting. When printing this on a high resolution printer, you may need it again. Then again, you shouldn't, as this likely is a printer setting instead: how the printer rasterizes your (vector) PDF image. I simply don't know if these kind of "hints" can be coded into postscript/PDF.
I managed to do so, on Evert's advice, by using a very big resolution with a very small font. Here are the most important steps:
import pylab as pl pl.figure(figsize=(70, 70)) # This increases resolution pl.savefig('test.eps', format='eps', dpi=900) # This does, too pl.annotate(..., fontsize='xx-small', ...)